Career Exploration Resources
Spanning Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties, our “North Country” region is home to some of the finest medical professionals in the state, and we often see our work defining the work of other healthcare institutions across New York and even the United States.
Starting from the northwest on the picturesque waterfront of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River, our region stretches southeast across the rolling landscape of the Tug Hill Plateau and into the rugged beauty of the Adirondack Mountains. Scattered throughout the three-county area are small waterways perfect for fishing and kayaking; forests for hiking, hunting and observing nature; and rural communities with friendly neighbors, historic buildings and safe schools for children.
Also in our region lies Fort Drum, home to the 10th Mountain Division of the U.S. Army. As a close-knit member of our community for more than 30 years, Fort Drum is home to roughly 19,000 soldiers and their families — many of whom receive their healthcare in the community.
As a medical professional in the north country, you will have the opportunity to serve a diverse population and enjoy innovations that cannot be found elsewhere in the state, like our region’s robust health information network. You also may be eligible for financial incentives by working in a health professional shortage area.
Overall, you will find that our region is on the forefront of healthcare transformation and advancement, making it an ideal setting for healthcare professionals to learn, grow and thrive. So, if you are looking for a career in healthcare and you’re not sure where to go…
…LOOK NORTH AND FIND HOME.
Whether you are a student, medical professional, or behavioral health practitioner, we invite you to join our healthcare community. If you’re ready to learn more and get started, browse the career exploration resources below for more helpful information.
Loan Repayment Programs
We do our best to maintain a current list of federal and New York State loan repayment/forgiveness programs for healthcare providers. However, for the most accurate and up-to-date information, please click on the link for any program to be directed to that agency’s website.
Doctors Across New York (DANY)
- Psychiatrist Loan Repayment Program
- Program Description: Doctor’s Across New York (DANY) is a series of state-funded programs enacted in 2008 and administered by the Department of Health (DOH) to help train and place physicians in a variety of settings and specialties for New York’s diverse population.
- Eligibility: psychiatrists with active student loan debt who agree to serve at a NYS Office of Mental Health Psychiatric Center for at least 5 years
- Financial Benefits: up to $150,000 in tax-free reimbursement
- Physician Practice Support Funds and Physician Loan Repayment
- Program Description: Doctor’s Across New York (DANY) is a series of state-funded programs enacted in 2008 and administered by the Department of Health (DOH) to help train and place physicians in a variety of settings and specialties for New York’s diverse population. Please click the link above for more information on eligibility, service commitment, and financial benefits.
Scholarships and Funding Opportunities
- Nurse Corps Scholarship Program
- Program Description: enables students accepted or enrolled in a diploma, associate, baccalaureate or graduate nursing program to receive funding for tuition, fees and other education costs in exchange for working at an eligible NURSE Corps site upon graduation
- Eligibility: U.S. Citizens (born or naturalized), U.S. Nationals or lawful permanent residents | enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a professional nursing degree program at accredited school of nursing located in the U.S. | free from any Federal judgement liens | free from existing service commitments | not delinquent on Federal debt
- Selection Criteria: preference given to qualified applicants with greatest financial needs in nursing or nurse practitioner program as full-time students
- Service Commitment: serve at least 2 years in qualifying NURSE Corps site
- Financial Benefits: tuition, eligible fees, reasonable costs (books, clinical supplies, instruments, uniforms, etc.) and a monthly stipend
- Nursing Workforce Diversity (NWD) Program
- Program Description: increase nursing education opportunities for individuals who are from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Eligibility: accredited schools of nursing | nursing centers, academic health centers | state or local governments | other private or public entities
- Selection Criteria: funding preference given to applicants with projects that benefit rural or underserved populations or help meet public health nursing needs in state or local health departments
In an effort to increase awareness of health careers in high demand, FDRHPO recently launched a series of informational flyers, called “Health Career Close-Ups.”
Every few months, we highlight a different healthcare career, including information on: work environment, pay, education requirements, and local educational programs. Click on an issue below for more information about these exciting healthcare professions!
Career Exploration Videos
GPS for Success is a multi-platform website that students and underemployed adults can use to learn about career opportunities, income potential and education/training requirements in 16 career clusters identified locally and nationally as experiencing a shortage of skilled workers entering the workforce. The website features digital content showcasing the careers as a distinct group of occupations and industries based on the knowledge and skills they require. Its goal is to help educators and students of all ages explore different career development options and better prepare them for college and/or a vocational career.
The Northern Area Health Education Center, Inc. (NAHEC) works to improve health and healthcare through education. As part of the larger New York State AHEC System, NAHEC is one of nine centers throughout the State of New York. NAHEC serves Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence, Franklin, Essex, and Clinton counties.Together with the statewide office in Buffalo and regional offices in Syracuse and Manhattan, the New York State AHEC System offers statewide capacity for addressing healthcare workforce needs. At the national level, NAHEC is a member of the National AHEC Organization (NAO).
HW Careers is a nonprofit dedicated to health workforce development in New York State. HWNY consists of three managing partners: Upstate Medical University, Central New York Area Health Education Center, and Northern Area Health Education Center.The Center for Health Workforce Studies is an academic research center based at the School of Public Health on the Health Sciences Campus at the University at Albany, State University of New York (SUNY). Its mission is to provide timely, accurate information and conduct policy-relevant research about the health workforce. The Center assists health, professional, and educational organizations, policy makers, planners, and other stakeholders to understand issues related to the supply, demand, distribution, and use of health workers. Fort Drum’s Army Community Service (ACS) has a wealth of resources for Soldiers, Families, Reservists, Retirees, and DoD Civilians, including an Employment Readiness Program. This program provides career assistance and job lead referrals to soldiers, spouses, and military family members as they transition in and out of Fort Drum. The program offers a series of career development workshops to enhance the job searching experience. Employment Readiness educators can also hold one-on-one appointments to assist with job searching, resumes, interviews, and career development. The Army knows that employment is one of the most significant issues for Military Families; therefore, the goal of the Fort Drum ACS Employment Readiness Program is to assist Families with their job search particularly as they are impacted by such a mobile lifestyle.
Want to learn more?
If you have questions about FDRHPO’s health workforce priorities or initiatives, our workforce team can help you out! Get to know us below to see who might be your best contact. If you are a member of the media, please click here to reach our Communications Coordinator.